Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Strata Meeting 4th October

Minutes of Strata Arts Group Meeting

Held on 4th October 2006

Those present:
Nick Goulding, Keith Roker, Peter Cooper, Karen Delahay, Frances Thackway, Wendy Wharam, Phillipa Sherborne, Shannon Ribbons, John Cull, Freya Boyesen, Robert and Marie Hayward and Lesley Licudi.

Wine and welcome

Matters arising from meeting of 6th September
All matters were on the agenda for discussion.
Website Development
Shannon addressed the meeting to update on progress on the website and the contacts list is now complete along with a mission statement and homepage. He stated that he was short of time and needed someone to take on the day to day maintenance of the site but would be available to give advice and make significant changes. All should look at the site (Strata.org.uk) and give feedback. Shannon suggested that imagery should include photos, art work etc. with a potential for each person contributing to have their own page. It was agreed as policy that members of Strata would include links from their own sites to Strata. Keith stated that the database should be refined and developed, reflecting artists and their work, this is a large but essential piece of work for which funding may need to be sought. Peter is happy to upkeep the blog and said he would feed information to Shannon in weekly chunks to help minimise the amount of work required. Shannon will set up a page for anyone who needs it, members should email all details to Peter or Shannon. All contact details for a main database should be sent to Peter who will liaise with Shannon and Keith. A précis of the minutes could be sent to Peter to post on the blog and the website. Karen will include the newsletter on the site. Members suggested several potential links to the site.
4. Formation of Company
Nick, Karen and Keith updated the group on the meeting held to agree company structure i.e. a company limited by guarantee with charitable aims. Trustees could be Karen Delahay, Matt Wilkinson, Nick Goulding, Paul Angel, with Lesley as Company Secretary. It was agreed on the need for a good solicitor with an understanding of the issues of the group. We are awaiting a response from James Sinclair-Taylor. Keith stressed the importance of defining the objects of the charity and the need for an overview of a professional with a view to reporting back to the Charity Commissioners. Frances said that Purbeck Strings were going through a similar process and that she would liaise with Strata.
5. Project Progress
Carlotta Barrow and Chris Burke sent their apologies and through the chair updated the group on progress with the Wessex Water site Arts Project. Estimates for the work required are being sought. Nick also read out a proposal from Carlotta entitled Durl Stone focussing on stone carving possibilities at Durlston. Sources of funding for various projects were discussed such as the Community Champions Fund and the Arts Council. Phillipa suggested contacting the Russell Cotes Museum and Art Gallery regarding images they hold concerning Purbeck. Nick informed new members of various projects that had been discussed e.g. the link with Southern India. Keith invited Kate Black of Durlston (who joined briefly) to outline progress on the Durlston Castle site. The exact completion date was unclear.
6. Notices
Karen asked for information to be included in the newsletter to be sent to her. She also stressed that Strata was likely to be a main initiative within Swanage and Purbeck over the next five years and was perceived at district level as ‘ ticking the most boxes’!
7. Cultural Olympiad
Peter summarised an important meeting on the Cultural Olympiad held at the Sailing Academy, Portland. The cultural element, including the Arts, will have a very high profile and as Dorset is the only Olympic venue outside of London the impact on the Arts in this area will be enormous. As the trialling of events will begin next year large numbers of visitors will soon be descending. The Arts Council are producing the overall strategy using the Jurassic Coast strategy, any ideas for the Arts are likely to be welcomed and referred to Mike Hoskin through Peter. Brazil and India have been identified as key focus countries for the Olympiad and Wendy Wharam’s India project is ideally positioned. Many more four star beds will be needed and Portland harbour is likely to be developed as a permanent cruise liner port with significant long term tourist implications.
8. Publicity
Karen asked for events to be emailed to her for the newsletter. A newsletter distribution list will be drawn up and copies will be kept in the Quarr Gallery. Karen will also prepare a handout outlining Strata and its work also to be held in the gallery.
9. Future Meetings / Socials
Karen invited members to a film as part of the Purbeck Film Festival at California Farm on the 15th October. The Cellar Bar was suggested by Keith as a suitable venue for future social events. Peter raised the possibility of a Spoken Word Club here in Swanage.
10. Any Other Business
No other business.

Date of next meeting: Wednesday 1st November 2006 at 7.30 pm at the Quarr Gallery

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Beat the Tattoo

Strata member/associate/supporter Paul Angel's exhibition of photographs of tattoed bodies is being featured on BBC South Today tonight. The exhibition is at the Russell-Cotes gallery and is well worth a look.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Strata Social Evening

If you are reading this, and even if you are not, we are having a Strata social at Quarr Gallery on wednesday 18th October. The only business we need to transact is to decide on some entertainment/events for future socials. Thereare some ideas in formation and we can firm these up on Wednesday.See you then,Keith

Friday, October 06, 2006

Creative Dorset

Creative Dorset - a new programme to support creativity in Dorset. Dorset County Council and partners are pleased to announce that they will soon be launching a new specialist development service for creative and cultural businesses, organisations and practitioners in Dorset. This new service - Creative Dorset - will provide a programme of specialist advice,information and guidance, networking and showcasing opportunities. The aim of Creative Dorset is to help the creative and cultural sector to grow and to have a more positive impact on the economy and communities of the County. To 'hit the ground running', Creative Dorset needs to know more about who the practitioners and businesses are that live and work in the County, who they are working with and the types of work they are doing. They also need to know what these businesses and creative individuals require in order to help them prosper and grow.Tom Fleming Creative Consultancy has been asked to undertake a piece of work to build a database containing details of the Dorset cultural and creative sector. This database will provide Creative Dorset with some of the intelligence they need so they can start working as soon as they are launched. To register your details and let Creative Dorset know about your work and the support you need, please complete and return the form which you can download here:http://www.artsmatrix.org.uk/Downloads/Forms/tabid/171/Default.aspx.
Your input in vital as gathering this information will help to ensure that projects and services are dedicated to the needs of cultural and creative individuals, businesses and organisations in the County.If you have already received details about the Creative Dorset and have completed, and returned a form to us, thank you. We are still updating the database with the returns, which is why you may be receiving information for the second time.If this is the first time you are hearing about the initiative or you have not yet completed and returned a form, we look forward to hearing from you in the near future.
Tracey Gregory
Associate Consultant
Tom Fleming Creative Consultancytelephone 1 07989 565190 email tracey@tfconsultancy.co.ukwebsite www.tfconsultancy.co.uk

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Strata Meeting 6th september

Those present:
Nick Goulding, Keith Roker, Jane Roker, Peter Cooper, Carlotta Barrow, Chris Burke, Paul Angel, Ian Lowson, Jane Lowson, Matt Wilkinson, Karen Delahay, Kate Cross, Paul Burrows, Robert Diment-Davies and Lesley Licudi
Wine and welcome
Matters arising from meeting of 2nd August (no minutes available)
It was generally agreed that a £2 contribution per meeting should be raised to cover minor expenses.

Formalising company status
Keith Roker stressed the need to place the group on a formal footing as the group is expanding. It will be necessary to set up a company limited by guarantee, with charitable aims. Keith also stressed the importance of having professional advice on the set up process.
Various members of the group suggested suitable organisations who may be able to offer advice and models.
It was agreed that the following Wednesday a meeting would be held between Nick Goulding, Karen Delahay, Matt Wilkinson and Keith Roker to evaluate existing information, establish company status and identify possible company roles and responsibilities.

Website Development
Members of Strata had viewed the website currently being developed by Shannon Ribbons and were very impressed by the progress so far. It was agreed that members should provide content as soon as possible either directly to Shannon or via Quarr Gallery.
Karen agreed to send her Strata newsletters to Shannon.
Contact details for members including links were encouraged. Various useful links to the Strata website were discussed such as Virtual Swanage, My Space and YOUTOBE.COM.
Peter Cooper referred to his current blog http://cultureswanage.blogspot.com/ and that he was representing the group at various meetings including the 2012 Cultural Olympiad.

Carlotta Barrow updated the group on progress with the Wessex Water site Arts Project. She had made contact with Wessex Water and further research was needed in terms of costings and details of current and former artists’ work. There was a general discussion regarding links with other galleries such as the Tate (where artists linked to Purbeck are exhibited) and possibilities for sponsorship.
A folder of significant artwork linked to Purbeck has been compiled in Quarr Gallery and any new additions would be welcome.
It was agreed by all that any independent projects linked to Strata should be included under the Strata umbrella.
Karen Delahay offered her studio for hire for various arts projects/workshops.
Other possible projects were referred to e.g a link with India, the Turkish Arts Centre and Matt W spoke about African Drum Workshops, Circus Skills and flame fire shows.

Artists Way Support Group
Nick informed the group about a new creative cluster group facilitated by Tara Randall focussed on the book by Julia Cameron, The Artists Way. This group will be meeting at the Quarr Gallery every Thursday evening from 7pm until 9pm, all are invited.

Arts Centre Development
Karen D reported to the group on early progress regarding a possible Arts Centre at the rear of Swanage Library. The Swanage Parish Plan would need to be in place, Karen has spoken to the Council and was told there would be a delay of at least two months before any progress would be made. The need for Strata to be actively involved in any such development was highlighted strongly. Karen agreed to represent Strata and feedback any developments to the group.
Frustrations were expressed by several members regarding the Pierhead Development plans and missed opportunities for involving the arts. Members agreed that the owner of the Pierhead land should be invited to discuss the issue with the group.

Nick reminded the group that the Strata social evenings occur every month two weeks after the formal meeting and all are welcome. He thanked Jane and Keith for all their hard work in organising these very successful events. Keith suggested the Cellar Bar as a future venue, with entertainments.
Any Other Business
Matt suggested Strata involvement in the up and coming Folk Festival, it was agreed that we should aim for this next year as there was no time to organise anything.
Several people expressed the need for advertising and publicity for Strata and its members. It was agreed that suggestions should be e-mailed to Karen and Publicity would be on the agenda for the next meeting.
It was agreed that before making significant representations to other arts groups etc company status should be in place.
Peter invited all to provide him with contact details for his Arts In Swanage blog.
Date of next meeting: Wednesday 4th October 2006 at 7.30 pm at the Quarr Gallery

Monday, October 02, 2006

Purbeck Strings Autumn Event

The first Purbeck Strings Autumn Quartet Course takes place from October the 13th to October the 15th 2006 at the Old Malthouse School Langton Matravers.
Enthusiastic response……..48 local string players to take part.
The course has been set up to provide an opportunity for string players of all ages and ability to play together and benefit from coaching from the
young professional Stanford Quartet.

Stanford Quartet Concert
Sisters… Laura, Ellie and Amy Stanford with cellist Jessica Cox will give a concert on Saturday October the 14th at 7-30pm in St Georges Church Langton Matravers.
The quartet will be performing Mozart’s famous Dissonance Quartet, Janacek’s vibrant Kreutzer Sonata, and finally the stylish Debussy quartet.

Course Concert
On Sunday afternoon at 3-30pm in the Old Malthouse School course members will give a concert of music studied during the weekend course.
As usual Purbeck Strings will be raising funds for the charity –
In tune with childline.
Tickets £6 or £10 for 2 concerts (children free) from Purbeck Press
01929 423669 or 01929 426931
Enquiries to:
Susan Stanford - Artistic Director Tel: 01929 426931