Friday, December 29, 2006

Cultural use Building

As you may already be aware there is a possibility of funding being available for a building with cultural uses beside and behind the library. As a preliminary we have been asked to ask Strata members for the following information, which is very similar to that requested in the recent Creative Dorset survey.



Type of work you do

Where you do it?

What do you need to expand and improve what you do?

Can you let me have the answers, either by printing this or in an email. It would be really helpful if you can pass copies on to anyone else in the arts and ask them to return their answers to Quarr Gallery or give me their contact details.We have a Strata meeting next Wednesday and printed copies will be available then.

Keith Roker

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Minutes of December Strata Meeting

6 December 2006 at Quarr Gallery, 17 High Street, Swanage


Paul Angel, Carlotta Barrow, Chris Burke, Peter Cooper, Richard Jeffery, Jane Ramsay, Keith Roker, Matt Wilkinson.


Nick Goulding, Lesley Lucidi,

In the absence of Nick Goulding it was agreed that Peter Cooper would chair the meeting.

1. Minutes of previous meeting.

The minutes were accepted.

2. Company formation.

The meeting discussed the options for objects. Richard Jeffery agreed to look for similar organisations to look at their objects. It was agreed to aim for company formation by the end of January.

3. Website development

Shannon had added links to other relevant sites. The meeting discussed ways of developing the site so that members could add material themselves. Funding for the website was discussed. The Community Chest was a possible source. Matt said he was putting pictures on Myspace to which there could be a link.

4 Project Progress


Carlotta told the meeting that the town council unanimously supported the project to put up information points with paintings of the locality. A subgroup with Cllrs. Bartlett, Bright and Hadley was formed. Community Champions were likely to make a grant of £1600. She had discussed the project with the PDC planning department who were concerned at the possible visual intrusion and had suggested a single board combined with a recording accessible by phone and a leaflet. The meeting discussed this but it was felt it would be inadequate. Matt, Paul and Richard agreed to become involved. The meeting noted their thanks to Carlotta for progressing the project.


Matt told the meeting that he was intending to have a shop at King George's filed. It would be situated on the car park area. It would sell circus and fire equipment and skate and roller blading equipment. There was to be a graffiti project with a monthly competition.
Funding was needed for equipment for the circus skills school. Funding had been obtained for a digital recording studio at the youth and community centre.


Richard said that Antonia had a Community champions award for a portable mural project with local schools. The mural would be placed around the seafood kiosk at the bottom of the High Street during the winter.


Durlston Castle – Ideas were still needed for Purbeck Arts week and a stone trail.


It was agreed to have a trawl of project people wanted to pursue. Submissions please.


Jurassic Coast Arts Strategy

There is a meeting on 22 February at Lyme Regis. The strategy is now a central plank of the cultural Olympics.

6 Future meetings and events

16 Jan Bar One Open Mic event

Christmas Social

Friday 22 at Bar One. Matt to entertain.

Purbeck Art Week starts 22 May


Date of next meeting

3 January

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Minutes of November Strata Meeting

Minutes of Strata Arts Group Meeting

Held on 1st November 2006

Those present:
Nick Goulding, Keith and Jane Roker, Peter Cooper, Karen Delahay, Carlotta Barrow, Wendy Wharam, Sandy Clark, Paul Angel (part), Sarah Wooton and Lesley Licudi. Apologies from Chris Burke, Frances Thackway and Matt Wilkinson (who arrived near the close of the meeting).
Wine and welcome
Matters arising from meeting of 4th October
KD gave an update of the library arts centre project. She will need ideas from Strata members in order to formulate a proposal for County to consider. General discussion around uses of such a facility and current local political initiatives. PC referred to current re-organisation of the library service as well as adult education and, if it is perceived as a ‘backwater’ Swanage may benefit from resource input. SW talked about the Creative Response organisation that provides therapeutic art sessions, etc., to groups such as those with disabilities. PC urged that a centralised facility should be based within Swanage as opposed to Wareham in view of it’s larger population.
Formation of Company
KR: James Sinclair-Taylor, a solicitor with experience of working with charitable arts companies is keen to become involved in the setting up of the company. He needs an overview of the work Strata does and where we hope to be in the future. KR is working on a draft which he will share with members. Objects will need to be defined along with a full strategy with feedback mechanisms to monitor progress in a time-based structure. CB, JR and WW discussed bringing art and culture into the area and raising their profile as being central to our aims. KR will continue to liaise with JS-T and he should be invited to our meetings. PC stressed the importance of the timescale and we ought to be up and running by the end of November/beginning of December in order to seek urgent funding for several projects. NG suggests a meeting next week (Wed at 2.30) involving KR, KD, NG and MW, to decide upon Articles of Association, etc. KR informed us that formats for objects have changed and we will use the latest articles from other organisations as a guide.
4. Website Development
PA called in briefly to give apologies and to say that he and Richard Jeffries were liaising with Shannon over the website. NG acknowledged the excellent work that Shannon had done so far but that he would need others such as PA and RJ to maintain the site. PC’s blog is currently a good source of information and PC asked for contact lists, etc., to be sent to him.
5. Project Progress
CB updated the group on progress with the retrospective art project centred on the Wessex Water site. She has written to the Mayor; Swanage Town Council are excited by the idea. The Tate gallery have confirmed that they are happy to release images in specified format for £100. She is applying to the ‘Community Champions’ fund for a grant. Robert Field has given permission for an image to be used. Much more work, over planning, traffic issues, site, etc., is needed and CB appealed for help from other members. Several offers were forthcoming. KD and PC will help out over costings. Nothing has been heard from Wessex Water, as yet. SW referred to the number of school trips that could benefit from such a display. NG felt that because of the educational importance of such a project County may be persuaded to offer support either financially or in terms of their sign/display resources. Carlotta was thanked for her superb work so far.
WW informed Strata about progress in her India project. She has attended a meeting to draft proposals and spoken with Mike Hoskin. It may be a year away from any arts based activity. WW stressed that this is a major project that will require support from Strata members. The idea is being very well received, generally and will raise the profile of the area highly.
KD told us that Strata has been asked for ideas for Purbeck Arts Week at Durlston, next year. Ideas will be asked for at the next meeting on 4th December. CB suggested stone carving which has been very successful previously.
MW will represent Strata at meetings he attends such as one concerning the use of the skate park area. He is proposing to apply to Dorset County Council for significant funding for youth programme resources. Recording equipment for the youth club is hoped for.
6. Notices
PA announced an event, ‘Art@Mowlem’ on 11th November at 8.00 in the community room. Wine and music will accompany a display of local art. Invitations to be sent out.
7. Publicity
KD asked for items for the newsletter.
8. Future Meetings / Socials
WW has organised a Kathakali dance evening on Saturday, 18th November which will replace the usual Wednesday Strata social evening. There was discussion around the organisation of the event. Details will follow. Wendy was thanked for her efforts.
PC spoke of uses for the Cellar Bar or Bar One, such as poetry evenings. He referred to the ‘Speakeasy’ group in Wimborne and PC has invited Ray Sergeant to come to Swanage. WW, a story-teller herself, has many spoken-word contacts who may wish to come down to Swanage. PC will aim to set something up for the December social.
KR suggested David Pryce-Hughes, a local violinist may be a future option for a social.
MW has a portable p.a. system which he is willing to lend for our purposes. He suggested an open mic night for a future social.
9. Any Other Business
No other business.
Date of next meeting: Wednesday 4th December 2006 at 7.30 pm at the Quarr Gallery

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Arts Index Design Commission

The Arts Index online artists database for Poole, Bournemouth and Dorset has been online for 2 years and features over 550 local artists, musicians, creative industries, and groups: .
It is regularly used by a partnership of arts officers and agencies to recruit and signpost artists for projects, exhibitions, events and performances; and by artists to showcase their work and find out the latest arts opportunities, events and announcements in the region and beyond. Although the site functions well, it is in need of being visually updated to reflect the wealth of contemporary creative talent featured on it.

The Arts Development Unit for the Borough of Poole on behalf of the Arts Index partnership, is inviting proposals from artists who are featured on the database, to update and redesign the website for 2007.
This is an exciting opportunity for members of the Arts Index to take some ownership of the site and work with web programmer and design professionals to help develop the site into a thriving contemporary artists showcase, resource and networking space for Dorset.
This development opportunity is in response to a period of consultation with artists and users of the site. The selected artist will be teamed up with a designer and web programmer to help realise their ideas, so no web design experience is necessary.

The site will also be going through some other developments at this time, and the selected artist will be central to deciding the final 'look' for these changes supported by the web programmer and consultant designer.
These developments will be:
· Artist commissioned to redesign the site · A new introduction page for partner organisations, featuring each organisation's logo, 100 words about them and a link to their web site.
· The announcements + events sections to be made available to general public · Venues section: To be available to anyone accessing the site · Groups section : To be available to anyone accessing the site · Artists to be able to opt in/out for having their names and art-form, practice description and images of work accessible by all visitors to the site (personal details kept confidential) - only with artists consent
· Facility to send attachments to artists through the 'email all artists' function (site administrator to access this only, to prevent spread of virus' and spam)
· Email all partners facility (for artists and partners to access)

1. Proposals for new colour schemes / layout / new logo / fonts / accessibility 2. Artists CV
Some tips from the Web Programmer: · make sure the design isn't wider than approximately 980 pixels (to fit within a 1024 screen, including scroll bars) · try not to make the design too graphically rich as images take a long time to download (even on broadband) · include a navigation bar (typically this would be horizontally along the top or vertically on the left-hand-side) · try to use web-safe and accessible fonts (i.e. such as Times, Arial, Verdana etc.) for any blocks of text · Please note that the selected design idea may need to be 'tweaked' for it to work on the internet.

An inclusive fee of £300 will be paid to the selected artist for their ideas and time with the web specialists.

The deadline for proposals is midday Monday 11th December 2006. Please send you proposals either by post or email to:
Marianne Scahill Arts in the Community Officer Borough of Poole 4 High Street Poole BH15 1BW
For more information call Marianne on 01202 633972
Marianne Scahill Arts in the Community Officer Borough of Poole, Waterfront Museum, 4 High Street, Poole, Dorset, BH15 1BW
t: 01202 633972 m: 07779 880378
WOW @ The Study Gallery, North Rd, Poole - an exciting programme of healthy and creative activites on Wednesdays - open to all! see: