Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Minutes of November Strata Meeting

Minutes of Strata Arts Group Meeting

Held on 1st November 2006

Those present:
Nick Goulding, Keith and Jane Roker, Peter Cooper, Karen Delahay, Carlotta Barrow, Wendy Wharam, Sandy Clark, Paul Angel (part), Sarah Wooton and Lesley Licudi. Apologies from Chris Burke, Frances Thackway and Matt Wilkinson (who arrived near the close of the meeting).
Wine and welcome
Matters arising from meeting of 4th October
KD gave an update of the library arts centre project. She will need ideas from Strata members in order to formulate a proposal for County to consider. General discussion around uses of such a facility and current local political initiatives. PC referred to current re-organisation of the library service as well as adult education and, if it is perceived as a ‘backwater’ Swanage may benefit from resource input. SW talked about the Creative Response organisation that provides therapeutic art sessions, etc., to groups such as those with disabilities. PC urged that a centralised facility should be based within Swanage as opposed to Wareham in view of it’s larger population.
Formation of Company
KR: James Sinclair-Taylor, a solicitor with experience of working with charitable arts companies is keen to become involved in the setting up of the company. He needs an overview of the work Strata does and where we hope to be in the future. KR is working on a draft which he will share with members. Objects will need to be defined along with a full strategy with feedback mechanisms to monitor progress in a time-based structure. CB, JR and WW discussed bringing art and culture into the area and raising their profile as being central to our aims. KR will continue to liaise with JS-T and he should be invited to our meetings. PC stressed the importance of the timescale and we ought to be up and running by the end of November/beginning of December in order to seek urgent funding for several projects. NG suggests a meeting next week (Wed at 2.30) involving KR, KD, NG and MW, to decide upon Articles of Association, etc. KR informed us that formats for objects have changed and we will use the latest articles from other organisations as a guide.
4. Website Development
PA called in briefly to give apologies and to say that he and Richard Jeffries were liaising with Shannon over the website. NG acknowledged the excellent work that Shannon had done so far but that he would need others such as PA and RJ to maintain the site. PC’s blog is currently a good source of information and PC asked for contact lists, etc., to be sent to him.
5. Project Progress
CB updated the group on progress with the retrospective art project centred on the Wessex Water site. She has written to the Mayor; Swanage Town Council are excited by the idea. The Tate gallery have confirmed that they are happy to release images in specified format for £100. She is applying to the ‘Community Champions’ fund for a grant. Robert Field has given permission for an image to be used. Much more work, over planning, traffic issues, site, etc., is needed and CB appealed for help from other members. Several offers were forthcoming. KD and PC will help out over costings. Nothing has been heard from Wessex Water, as yet. SW referred to the number of school trips that could benefit from such a display. NG felt that because of the educational importance of such a project County may be persuaded to offer support either financially or in terms of their sign/display resources. Carlotta was thanked for her superb work so far.
WW informed Strata about progress in her India project. She has attended a meeting to draft proposals and spoken with Mike Hoskin. It may be a year away from any arts based activity. WW stressed that this is a major project that will require support from Strata members. The idea is being very well received, generally and will raise the profile of the area highly.
KD told us that Strata has been asked for ideas for Purbeck Arts Week at Durlston, next year. Ideas will be asked for at the next meeting on 4th December. CB suggested stone carving which has been very successful previously.
MW will represent Strata at meetings he attends such as one concerning the use of the skate park area. He is proposing to apply to Dorset County Council for significant funding for youth programme resources. Recording equipment for the youth club is hoped for.
6. Notices
PA announced an event, ‘Art@Mowlem’ on 11th November at 8.00 in the community room. Wine and music will accompany a display of local art. Invitations to be sent out.
7. Publicity
KD asked for items for the newsletter.
8. Future Meetings / Socials
WW has organised a Kathakali dance evening on Saturday, 18th November which will replace the usual Wednesday Strata social evening. There was discussion around the organisation of the event. Details will follow. Wendy was thanked for her efforts.
PC spoke of uses for the Cellar Bar or Bar One, such as poetry evenings. He referred to the ‘Speakeasy’ group in Wimborne and PC has invited Ray Sergeant to come to Swanage. WW, a story-teller herself, has many spoken-word contacts who may wish to come down to Swanage. PC will aim to set something up for the December social.
KR suggested David Pryce-Hughes, a local violinist may be a future option for a social.
MW has a portable p.a. system which he is willing to lend for our purposes. He suggested an open mic night for a future social.
9. Any Other Business
No other business.
Date of next meeting: Wednesday 4th December 2006 at 7.30 pm at the Quarr Gallery

No comments: